Monday, October 26, 2020

Testimonial: the role of Systems and Network Administrator

Can you present, as well as your professional background?

My name is Florian, I am 23 years old and I have been working at Aviti since June 2015. Since my childhood, I have been passionate about the IT world. I was already dismantling my first computers at the age of 7 or 8! Subsequently, I therefore naturally oriented during my studies towards a STI2D Bac (Science & Technology of Industry and Sustainable Development option SIN - Information and digital system) followed by a first year of BTS SIO (Solutions IT to Organizations). However, the technical aspect was not pushed enough for my taste, so I preferred to reorient myself and integrate the IMIE school in order to obtain a Bac + 2 TSSI (Higher IT support technician).

I did this work-study program, an important parameter for me who wanted to quickly discover the business world and use my theoretical knowledge in a practical way. After two years of discovering the business world at DSMI (which has since changed its name to become Aviti), my internship manager offered me a position as Systems and Networks Administrator. This is how I integrated active life, at only 20 years old.

What are your missions and your role in the company?

The missions of a Systems and Network Administrator are very varied, which is what I particularly appreciate in this position. Today, I am called upon to intervene at many levels for Aviti customers for whom I am on assignment. This can also concern complete infrastructure migrations (replacement of equipment, renewal of servers, storage and equipment, migration of roles, services or data, etc.) as well as the deployment of backup, merger or separation solutions. (spin-off) of directories.

More generally, my role is to continue the work initiated by the sales representative and by my pre-sales colleagues by deploying solutions adapted to customer needs, under the keen and professional eye of the project managers linux admin tasks.

What are the challenges of your position?

A major challenge is to adapt to the constraints of the client, because I am above all at his service. You absolutely have to keep to the deadlines, but also take into account its specificities. For example, if he has a production plant, it is necessary to respect the rates so as not to affect his productivity. My goal is to always guarantee a quality service in order to satisfy the customer. It is also necessary to ensure the training of its teams in the new tools put in place.

These different missions require qualities that are essential to their successful completion. To begin with, you have to know how to demonstrate autonomy. Then, I am regularly asked to adapt, whether it is to the client, to the mission or to the work environment. Finally, it is important to have a team spirit to integrate projects.

What issues are you facing? What methods do you work with?

Regarding the issues, I travel throughout France. It is therefore necessary to have a strong geographical mobility. It is also essential to have strong technical expertise. This requires continuous technological monitoring. The typology of our clients and the training budgets allocated by Aviti make my life easier in this area. This makes it easier for me to meet technical requirements, but also to have strong career progression.

As for the methods, we follow the guidelines provided during the kick-off meetings between the client and the project manager. These are generally based on best practices recommended by manufacturers and publishers. On larger-scale missions, we rely on the recommendations of ANSSI ( National Information Systems Security Agency).

How do you see your position evolving in the coming years?

The role of Systems and Network Administrator allows several possible evolutions. You can, according to your desires and skills, move towards the pre-sales phase or become an engineer, consultant or project manager. Personally, I want to develop in a pre-sales position because it corresponds to several facets of my personality such as listening, communication, thoroughness, technical expertise. This position requires intervening upstream on projects that the integration teams then deploy in the field. You need to have solid technical support for sales teams, especially when responding to calls for tenders or customer requests, when writing technical briefs as well as during their defense. Finally, one of the advantages of this position is to be regularly trained and certified on the new technologies of our partners, but also to be present at dedicated events. Two elements that particularly attract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment